Monday, September 22, 2008

The Founding of Bamban Historical Society

Bamban Historical Society was founded by the Dela Cruz brothers; the author and Romel in the house of Rufino Dela Cruz located on Block 94, Lot 19, Lourdes, Dapdap, Bamban, Tarlac on June 19, 2009. The inspiration to established the Bamban Historical Society came the writer, who resides in Angeles City, was on his way to Bamban with my wife. On the read near the former Mabalacat Airfield at barrio Cacutud, I saw a ceremony of the Japanese veterans and their families assisted with the local officials of Mabalacat and some Filipino friends. After watching the ceremony, I approach a friendly-looking guy, his name was Ged Dizon. Ged is the son of the famous Angeles WWII historian Daniel Dizon. Upon presenting myself that I am from Bamban, he told me; "nanau kayu! mas dakal ya kasaysayan ing balen yu dapat mag organize kayu batamung magconduct ceremony munaman. Sopan dakayu akung bala."

After that, I proceeded to my father's house in Dapdap and confer the message to my brother Romel and friends, Ramon Auditor. That was October 25, 1998. It took me several months of planning and convincing our friends in Bamban to get organize and involve in the historical and cultural development of our town. On June 19, 1999, in a small gathering at my father's house, I, my brother Romel, Ramon Auditor, and Efren Raagas formally declared the existence of Bamban Historical Society after I presented documents on its mission-vision, objectives, plan of organization, etc. In the days followed, more friends joined the organization. On October 25, 1999, the first project of the BHS was established; the Bamban Airfield Memorial located at barrio Virgen Delos Remedios. After this project, successive activities followed and the organization was recognised in the area and abroad as a dynamic oragnization in the fields of history and culture.

No comments: